Monday, September 2, 2013

Tonight is the Night for Fashion

This week's review was on Spica's new song Tonight, which received 349,310 views between the b2ment and CJENMUSIC channels. You can watch the summery delight HERE




Overall impression:

Em: This was a fun, summery, pretty, hipster, party video with pretty flowy clothes and happiness and summer and yay. That was a lot of adjectives. ANYWAY, the clothes were super cool and I personally would love to wear a lot of it. They had a nice mix of colorful patterned fabrics and loose shawls/ jackets, combined with a few fun bathing suits that added to the summer feel. There was a lot of jewelry too, including some flower headbands. The accents including lots of lace and feathers and general prettiness. Oh and there was a colorful explosion of awesome.

Oh so hipster.
Pretty flower headband

Ruby: Yeah, I totally agree. I mean, as a disclaimer Em and I are both pretty hipster, so I guess this review will be a bit biased. I loved that this video was meant to be fun and sassy. I mean right from the start with the patterned blanket and nose ring, it was just different. I loved that there was a sexual element to it but that it was mixed into fun and summer and all sorts of youthful shenanigans. From the location to the use of Holi powder (the colored stuff) it was about being flirty and fun and young. And that's super cool.


Oh so mysterious.
Holi powder

Other promotional Materials:

Em: Spica did a teaser with some nice shots from the mv, but nothing different. They had some teaser shots from the mv too, as well as one of them all together in outfits from the video. Jean shorts had a major presence, clearly, as well as interesting head things.
I see a beanie, handkerchiefs, and flower headbands...odd mix.
Ruby: So Spica’s stage performances have stuck well to the hippy/flower child theme. They’ve incorporated their flower head bands and jean shorts from the mv. They even added some pink hair. I was disappointed in what they chose for the backup dancers. I mean jeans and a white t-shirt are fine summer clothes, but seemed lack luster after the wonderful breadth of fashion in the mv.
Shout out for bubblegum pink hair!

They probably could've tried harder with the backup dancers.
Continuity:

Em: I have no complaints. Everything looked like it fit with the idea. It’s true that there was a variety of very intense patterns, but the style accommodates them. I feel like the videos we’ve reviewed lately have been very good about consistency, especially compared to ones in the past. Nu’est had crazy patterns too, but because of the style it worked. Even the swimsuits appeared enough to not be weird.

How to keep a band looking like a band without
having them all look the same: Lesson 1
Long flowy fabrics in soft colors

Ruby: They stuck with that summery vibe really well. I mean they were ontrend and they picked a theme and ran wild with it. I guess if I’m going to complain, I could have done without one sparkly top that was in the video for all of like 3 seconds. But seriously that's a stretch. It’s a good hint for kpop: pick a different/interesting concept that’s still simple. It won’t feel repetitive or overdone but it will look consistent and really professional.

3 second sparkly dress...coulda been worse
Band’s Overall Image:

Em: Spica has done a bunch of different things. Their mv I’ll Be There had a somewhat cutesy concept, with simple clothes (it also looked a LOT like Love Like Oxygen by SHINee). They also did Russian Roulette, which was all sexy and black leather and totally different. They’ve only been out for about a year, so they’re still in an experimental stage, but they’ve hit on a lot of good things and I think this MV really worked for them.

Simple concept in I'll Be There
Sexayyyyyy in Russian Roulette

Ruby: Spica is a chameleon band, I agree. They take on a ton of different concepts (!), which is never repetitive, but also is hard to follow or appreciate their evolution as a group. I mean in Lonely they wore these heavy, matronly velvet dresses/skirts that are in total contrast to Tonight. But then I’ll Be There had a lot of those playful elements with colorful accents and ripped jeans. Oh wait but its not over yet! Painkiller had another heavy concept with metallics and endless jewelry. I guess I don't mind their range, in some ways. But I agree I think this concept as particularly successful.

Spica's Lonely
Spica's Painkiller

Trends in K-POP:

Em: The pretty hipster summer flowy glowy lights thing has definitely happened before. There isn’t really one word for it but can I just say SHERLOCK TEASERS OH MY GOD. Also, 2NE1’s Do You Love Me channeled some of it as well.

They could be from the same concept!
Still summery, not too far off...from 2NE1's Do You Love Me

Ruby: See I kind of disagree. I mean yes the SHINee hippies lost in paris concept (still not sure what that was) was somewhat similar, but I think Spica really went in a different direction. Most hipster styled mvs feel very constructed to me, like the stylists were trying really hard to make them into classy polished hipsters. Which is a massive oxymoron. The point of the hipster trend is to be unkempt and still look good. I think Spica really got there in this mv, where as most band really come up short.

CNBlue looking nearly hipster but too polished in What Turns You On
Conclusion:

Em: This was a really beautiful music video with beautiful clothes and beautiful people and it was just. Yeah. Good job stylists. Even if the style in general has been done before, it was just done really ridiculously well. Maybe I should complain since it seemed very American in some ways...its a style that's very common here, especially compared to some more Korean styles. However, I still like it, so I'm going to say I like it anyway.

It's pretty , deal with it.
Bathing suit and socks? Somehow I'm okay with this
 and I don't understand why.

Ruby: By all standards we’ve previously set we should have ripped this video a new one. Its unnecessarily sexy, there’s little consistency in color or shape, clothing ranges from bikinis to high heels to plaid. And yet. We both loved it. This video was playful and quirky and didn’t take itself too seriously. The clothes really complemented that by not taking themselves to seriously. It was this sexually free and laughter filled celebration of being young and beautiful and happy. What more do you want from your last gasp of summer mvs? I say, nothing. Good job, everyone.

Playful and fun right down to the props.

Hipster band is hipster.

Daily Dose of Daebak:

COLOR EXPLOSION OF AWESOME



BUBBBBBBLESSSSS, MY BUBBLLLESSSS.


So let us know what you thought! Did you like the clothes? Do you just so happen to hate hipsters? Do you have the sudden urge to throw colorful powder all over yourself? Let us know in the comments!
-Ruby & Em <3

No comments:

Post a Comment